It has been over a week since the sides have met to discuss the CBA, and the lack of progress was the reasoning behind the cancellations. The last meeting between the sides looked promising at first as the NHLPA submitted three offers to the league, however, the league briefly reviewed the offers and rejected all three, calling them "disappointing". The first two proposals would see a gradual decline of the players' hockey related revenue (HRR) towards 50-50 based on revenue growth. The third proposal would be a 50-50 split of revenue, if the owners agreed to honor all existing contracts. However, the sides were not seeing eye-to-eye on the third proposal.
"The so called 50-50 deal, plus honoring current contracts proposed by the NHL Players' Association earlier today is being misrepresented," Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said in a statement. "It is not a 50-50 deal. It is, most likely a 56- to 57-percent deal in Year One and never gets to 50 percent during the proposed five-year term of the agreement."
"The proposal contemplates paying the players approximately $650 million outside of the players' share," he continued. "In effect, the Union is proposing to change the accounting rules to be able to say '50-50,' when in reality it is not. The Union told us that they had not yet 'run the numbers.' We did."
NHLPA Director, Don Fehr explained the players' side.
"We said, here are two avenues that you can look at which the players are prepared to get down to in a reasonable amount of time given what happened to percentages which look like yours," Fehr said.
The sides have yet to start the negotiations back up, despite the NHLPA requesting a meeting earlier in the week, only to be turned down by league, who said there would be no reason to meet if the players were not willing to submit a new proposal, or negotiate off of the owner's proposal.
"They have no inclination on doing either and so there really was no point in meeting at this point," Commissioner Bettman said. "There are just some times where you need to take time off because it's clear that you can't do anything to move the process forward and we're at one of those points right now because we gave our very best offer. And, that offer, for better or for worse, was contingent on playing an 82-game season. So, I think things actually in some respects may get more difficult."
Things certainly got more difficult on Friday as the league pulled their proposal off of the table and responded with the cancelling of more games, this time a much larger chunk. With the November games cancelled, 26.5% of the 2012-13 season has already been axed, and with no more negotiations scheduled, it appears that things could get worse.